307th Vampires (307. Vampire) is a Western Alliance squadron in Starlancer.
Germany's 307th squadron is one of the most decorated units under Alliance command. Veteran Ace Klaus Steiner is their commander, and under his leadership the Vampires have achieved an outstanding kill ratio of 4-1. The Vampires were the first Alliance unit to have success against the Coalition. On a routine patrol, they surprised a transport convoy, and took out 28 fighters and 3 large ships.
By June 23, 2160 the Vampires and the Alliance Forward Fleet focused on bringing in refugees in the first part of the war. Klaus Steiner received the Medal of Valor for his heroic defense of a civilian transport and taking out six Coalition fighters in the process. On July 19, a routine recovery operation revealed the Coalition's warp technology and explained the short-range hunting packs behind Allied lines. Klaus Steiner, the Vampires, and the 45th Volunteers were pulled via a prototype warp gate all the way to Venus and successfully destroyed the prototype warp gate, delaying the implementation of the technology.
By August 26, the situation improved thanks to attacks on the entire front line, with the Vampires and other elite outfits fighting desperately to protect convoys, even lost causes. Klaus Steiner and the Vampires earned the Navy Cross for a valiant defense of a hospital convoy against a Black Sun wing intent on destroying it.
On October 30, the ANS Reliant, limping to Fort Carter for repairs and refitting, was ambushed. The CS Krasnaya warped in and attacks the damaged carrier, coordinating with wings of Kamov bombers. A daring defense by the 45th Volunteers supported by elements from the Vampires turned the tide of the battle.
Their luck ran out on July 11, 2161, when the 45th Tigers, 409th Ronin, and the 307th launched a combined operation against the remnants of the fleet: CS Morzov and CS Pukov. What was supposed to be a mop-up operation turned out to be a deadly trap, as the Coalition launched an attack on Fort Sherman and the Yamato, forcing the Ronin to stay back, while the 45th Tigers were caught between a wing of Black Guard led by Nicolai Petrov and the CS Morzov, which feigned refueling to draw them in. Although both squadrons managed to turn the tide of the battle, the Vampires did not. The Pukov, Ivan Petrov, and the Black Guard managed to ambush them and the ANS Bremen, destroying the Alliance's best fighter squadron, one of the most advanced carriers, and apparently killing the Alliance's top ace, Klaus Steiner. Despite these setbacks, the Alliance remained committed to the war and Admiral Caldwell called on Alliance forces to redouble their efforts in the wake of Steiner's death, calling on squadrons such as the Tigers to step up and help drive the Coalition out of the occupied territories.
- Some squadrons have beta descriptions leftover in the files:
|“||Germany's 307th, the Vampires, is one of the most decorated units under Alliance command. German Ace Klaus Steiner is in command of the Vampires, and under his leadership the Vampires have managed an outstanding kill ratio of 4-1. The Vampires were the first Alliance unit to have success against the Coalition. On a routine patrol, they surprised a Coalition convoy, and took out 12 fighters and 3 large ships.||„|
- 307th Vampires
- Mission 1
- Transcripts: "July 19, 2160. Allied top ace Klaus Steiner and his Vampire squadron made a daring attack on a strategic enemy target believed to be a top secret technology facility deep within Coalition space. Alliance command would not comment in detail, but sources said that members of the newly formed 45th Volunteers also participated. Today, Allied High Command indicted Admiral Kulov for war crimes. One of the Coalition's most senior military leaders, Kulov is believed to be responsible for the surprise attacks at the onset of the war, as well as the slaughter of countless civilians and prisoners of war. Although the Forward Fleet has held the front-line quadrants against the Coalition, the situation remains critical and supplies throughout the remaining Alliance colonies are dwindling. Admiral Caldwell said that the people of the Alliance must give their leaders and military time to relieve the situation. Admiral Caldwell did not give additional details."
- Transcripts: "August 26, 2160. Alliance High Command has once again honored fighter Ace Klaus Steiner. In what has been called a noble action, Steiner saved a civilian hospital transport, under attack by Coalition forces. Steiner drew away enemy forces, giving his squadron time to move in and protect the convoy. Several enemy fighters believed to be from the infamous Black Sun squadron were destroyed. Admiral Caldwell awarded Steiner the Navy Cross on board the ANS Bremen. The Admiral, already the most powerful military commander in Alliance Command, has announced that he will run for the Presidency of the newly formed Alliance Senate. The elected president will be the presiding leader of all the Alliance member nations until such time as hostilities cease. If elected, Caldwell will not only be the Allied Forces supreme commander, but also the leader of all free people in the Sol system."
- Transcripts: "October 30, 2160. Pirate activity continues along the Alliance's forward quadrants. A number of cargo and supply vessels have been commandeered by highly skilled pilots, certainly from a military background. Command issued a statement today warning all military and civilian convoys to be vigilant and to report any sightings immediately. All attempts to track the rogue units have failed. Command confirmed, however, that these rogue units are being led by Colonel John McGann, a veteran Alliance squadron leader believed lost in action several weeks ago. In other news, the first opinion polls for the upcoming presidential election are in. There seems to be little competition for Admiral Caldwell, who, if elections were to take place today, would be voted into office with 73% of the popular vote."
- Transcripts: "July 11, 2161. The last few weeks in the war have been a mix of great sorrow and fortune for the Alliance. This week brings the worst news for the Alliance since the beginning of the war. Klaus Steiner, top Allied ace and hero, along with the rest of the Vampire squadron were ambushed and killed by Ivan Petrov and the Black Guard. Their carrier the ANS Bremen was also destroyed. The news has shaken morale throughout the Alliance, as Steiner and his squadron were rated as the Alliance's best. Their demise at the hands of the Butcher Petrov has added insult to injury, for an Alliance that only weeks ago seemed to be turning the tide of the war. Admiral Caldwell called on Alliance forces to redouble their efforts in the wake of Steiner's death, calling on squadrons such as the Tigers to step up and help drive the Coalition out of the occupied territories."